5 things keeping me sane right now
Hi friends! How’s the week treating you? I hope you’re doing well and hanging in there with everything going on. I have to admit that it’s been a weird week or so for me. All of the adrenaline has melted away and I realized that we’re doing a marathon instead of a 10k. (Not that I thought it would be short-lived but the fact that we’re on week 6 has kind of punched the air out of my sails. I literally can’t imagine doing the distance learning thing for another month, but I know we’ll make it happen.)
It’s been devastating to see those who have lost jobs, loved ones, and are experiencing true hardships. There are people who are working to the bone right now, and even though I can’t genuinely feel their struggles, I’m always the empath, and absolutely feel it in my heart. I see the UPS guy driving around and feel like crying and want to hug the grocery store clerk through the plexiglass shield. I’m here at my house with our two lovebugs and even though I have to feed them 80 times a day and clean up each time, I know we’re in a good spot.
I’m a believer in feeling your feelings (that’s what my therapist says, anyway), and I’ve felt a bit blah with everything. If you feel the same way, just wanted to let you know you’re not alone.
[I’m also at a point where twinning with the dish towel was amusing to me, so there ya go.]
For today’s post, I wanted to share some of the things that are keeping me sane right now. These are things that are outside of my usual toolbox of meditation (haven’t really had time to meditate so I’ve been walking instead), eating enough fresh foods, hydrating properly, getting enough sleep, CBD, etc.
– Walks, walks, walks. We’re still walking every.single.day, sometimes 2-3 times a day since the girls are obsessed with riding their bikes. The fresh air feels amazing, especially since we’re in the sweet spot in Tucson where it’s not a scorching oven outside, and the vitamin D is bonus. The walks benefit everyone, and positively impact my mental wellbeing for the day.
(Sabino Canyon was perfection yesterday)
– Watching more TV on a regular basis than I have in probably a decade. By the end of the day, I can’t do much of anything that requires brain power. It feels feels like pure luxury to slump onto the couch and watch TV. (Before this whole situation, it wasn’t uncommon for me to go 2-3 weeks without watching anything on TV. I’d work at night and read for a bit.) There’s SO much good stuff out there! I’ve watched mindless fun (Love is Blind and Tiger King), newer movies (Unorthodox, Parasite, Knives Out), old movies (National Lampoon’s Vacation, Pretty Woman, Groundhog Day), and caught up on shows I used to love (like Shameless). I’m not sure if my TV habit will stick with me after this is all over, but I’m loving it right now. On the same note, I feel way better when I avoid the news. I stopped scrolling through news articles on my phone so often throughout the day and it’s made a huge difference in how I feel. Instead, I’ll check the news every few days or so.
– Eating sweets and drinking wine. My sweet tooth is in overdrive and I’m back to drinking wine 3-4 times a week (not every night but we’re getting close) because it’s all about survival mode right now. The girls and I have been baking a ton and I’ve just been living my life and eating pure frosting and chocolate chips. This is a season of grace and we all just need to do what we need to do to decrease the pressure on ourselves and cultivate joy however we can. For now, sugar and wine are bringing me joy, so there ya go.
– Zoom calls and phone calls with friends and family and driveway visits at nana’s house. It’s been so nice to get back into the art of the phone call. I gab with my mom for probably an hour a day, call Kyle pretty much every day, and love catching up with girlfriends on the phone or Zoom. We’ve also visited my nana a few times and give her “air hugs” from the driveway. We had a picnic in her driveway yesterday (we took her Chick-Fil-A and she sat away from us in a foldout chair) and it was nice to just sit in the sunshine and visit with her from afar.
– House projects. We figured that it’s the perfect time to sift through some house projects we’ve been wanting to complete. We’re using Havenly to redesign our Master Bedroom – I’ll share some pics of our living room that they did! If you’ve been wanting to spice up or design any of the rooms in your house, my link gets you $50 off a full or $20 off a mini package – and we’re also looking at building a pool for the summer. We have a pretty long list of things we want to do to the house (next up: painting the cabinets) so it’s been nice to crank through them. It’s a good distraction.
New patio furniture and twinkly lights:
So tell me friends: how are you feeling this week?
Anything random that’s helping you stay sane during this insane time?
The post 5 things keeping me sane right now appeared first on The Fitnessista.